March 10, 2010

THEY AREN'T BLACK

MLB’s Torii Hunter is in hot water for his comments during an interview with USA Today in which he said Latin players, particularly those who players from countries like the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Costa Rica et al, are imposters. Hunter’s comments came in response to a question about the diminishing number of African-American players in MLB.

Hunter was quoted as saying: "People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American. They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say: 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero (pictured)? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.’”

He’s NOT black? That’s funny, did anyone ask Guerrero what color he is? NO! Because no one but another black man would point that out to him!

So am I to believe that ONLY players of African-American descent are black? If a guy like Torii Hunter, who is for the most part considered to be a good guy by his peers, can classify blacks from….other blacks, then what are the rest of us to believe about the decades of racist rhetoric that civil rights leaders have been fighting against in order to give people of color the rights that Hunter and the rest of us enjoy today?

When someone recently told my friends ‘Anapesi Ka’ili and Richard Wolfgramm that racism no longer exists in America I thought, ‘Perhaps there is some truth to that.’ After reading stories like this, I seriously wonder what world people like that live in.

I’m willing to give Hunter a benefit of a doubt because I do believe that he is a good guy. But I don’t think anyone has the right to spew racist remarks no matter what the situation may be.

What’s your take?

No comments: