February 23, 2010

Blindsiding a Storm

No one really knows whether or not ESPN's Tony Kornheiser is truly remorseful for his off-color comments about colleague Hannah Storm's wardrobe. Kornheiser made the remarks in a radio interview, earning him a two-week suspension from his show, "Pardon the Interruption".

One thing (among many things) that really bugs me about the suspension is, 'why did ESPN decide to mete out punishment to Kornheiser for his comments when it is clear that ESPN has cultivated this culture of irreverence over the years? It can be argued that ESPN started out speaking its mind in the early years, only to be whipped into submission as it grew up by corporate lawyers and big money sponsors.

Can you blame them? I mean, who wouldn’t tone down their act to make sure that the bills are paid week-to-week? And don’t forget that in our politically correct universe, Kornhiser’s comments would have put ESPN back in the doghouse with a few lobbyists and activists.

But wouldn’t it be great if we could just speak our minds without repercussion? I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m all about being judicious and self-moderating my public outbursts but doesn’t this speak volumes about Kornhiser’s character? I know I’m a jerk but sometimes a camera and direct access to the world tends to throw a cloak over who we truly are. And honestly, Hannah Storm said she was hurt and initially surprised but she moved on and probably went out and bought more thousand dollar boots and plaid skirts to add to her wardrobe. And truly, should Storm be wearing those outfits? You be the judge.

I may be way off the mark and Kornhiser may be a saint, but something tells me that ESPN is setting up the rest of the world, particularly corporate America, for a long, rocky road where we have to keep our words and tongues in check.

No comments: