February 7, 2010

Why I'm an Addict

Edward R. Murrow once said, "Just once in a while let us exalt the importance of ideas and information." All thoughts have the ability to invoke a reaction, good or bad. I appreciate the exchange of information and it is the reason that I started this blog. My thoughts, in writing, are seldom right. But it's not the reason that I began writing in the first place. Writing, is my attempt to 'vocalize' my opinion, solicit a response and amplify my belief in the Pacific Islander experience.

When I began writing many years ago, my sole intent was to give Pacific Islanders (young and old), positive stories from people of Pacific Island ancestry. None of these athletes, entertainers, educators, etc are perfect. However, it is their ability to rise above their situation, whether those circumstances are economic, personal or a result of societal woes, is the impetus that compels me to write.

Along the way my opinions have been met by more than an occasional resisitance, often open opposition to my views regarding talent on the stage and on the fields  and courts of the world. Sometimes the comments are hostile but more often than not, the opinions expressed are constructive and thought provoking. Though it is difficult to sometimes read harsh comments I've come to understand that criticism helps me to further refine my craft and to accept the opinions of others as part of the process and not just as objectionable ranting.

After all these years the irresistable obsession still urges me on in the hopes that young Pacific Islanders will capture the spirit embodied in the work ethic and the perseverance of others and learn in turn to uncover pride and objectivity in their own efforts.

If you have ideas or subject matter that you would like me to research and write about, feel free to email me at contextsports@gmail.com.

No comments: