February 5, 2010

Feminist Vilifies Vonn

I'm just going to put it out there, Lindsay Vonn is a very talented skier who also happens to be an attractive woman. She is also on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Should she be on the cover because she's attractive or because she's a great skier representing her country in the Olympics?

According to Dr. Nicole M. LaVoi of Women Talk Sports, Vonn's appearance on the cover of SI is in line with the magazines historical portrayal of women: that women are objects who are often shown in "sexualized poses" in the rare instance that they do appear on the cover.

As stated, I agree that Vonn is attractive. I also agree that she is an exceptional athlete. But until LaVoi pointed out that she appears to be in a sexual position, the only thing I saw was Vonn simulating what downhill skiers do....SKI!

If you read LaVoi's latest response on her blog to the fire she is fanning you'll find that she comes off more and more like a woman who despises attractive women. Thanks for sexualizing a photo that was, until now, an image of a successful, attractive female athlete. I think if you're going to be a feminist, you had better defend feminism and not provide fodder for the people you are trying to demonize.

2 comments:

austin irvers said...

I think the pose is her natural stance, and that she isnt being objectified in any way. I think they are celebrating her dominance of the sport, and nothing more.

Seti said...

austin irvers:

Agreed. Although I do agree with LaVoi's point when considering SI's swimsuit edition, I think she's way off the mark with Vonn's cover shot.